0e Solo Play-Test

 


I have decided to solo play-test the Original D&D rules as written.  I'm using the three booklets as close to the original as I can get.  That means without the supplements and, if possible, the original references to creatures like Balrogs.  I will be using the “Solo Dungeon Adventures” article from Issue 1 of The Strategic Review published in 1975. I will also seek help from an awesome little generator called the "Oe Die Roller and Random Table Results" located at http://mrjoshbear.net/odd-referee.html.  I may also use other online sources such as https://donjon.bin.sh/ when I get stuck for a name.  The calendar starts on January First.  One “in-game” year is the goal.  For some fantastic world immersion, I'll use the calendar of the World of Nehwon, created by Fritz Leiber, as interpreted by an unknown author at https://nehwon.obsidianportal.com/wikis/nehwon-calendar All dungeon locations, monsters and treasures will be generated in accordance with the booklets and the 1975 TSR generator. I will also roll for wandering monsters.  I’m interested in reporting the course of events mostly for my own enjoyment and to discover what works and what doesn’t.  If you enjoy the posts, by all means let me know. Cheers!

 

Nehwon’s Calendar

Twelve faces has our Lady of the Dark

As she walks nightly cross her starry park:
Snow, Wolf and Seed Moon, Witches, Ghosts and Knife,
The Murderer’s Badge; six more of dark and light:
Thunder, Lust, Harvest, Witches second life;
Then end the year with Frost and Lovers bright
- from ‘The Mouser Goes Below’ by Fritz Lieber

 

Play-test Introduction:

It is the Day of the Hare, the Month of the Lover, the Year of the Feather'd Death.  Three men set out on foot from the walled town of "Londolond".  The members of the expedition are "Toltan", the Adept; "Barric", the Medium; and "Vol", a Veteran Fighting-Man.   Yesterday they equipped themselves with weapons, food and water.  Today they seek the entrance to "The Secret Lair of Kas the Betrayer" located in the dungeons beneath a "huge ruined pile, a vast castle built by generations of mad wizards and insane geniuses".  And so, the ADVENTURE begins. 




Comments

Post a Comment